The Pier Road Diaries Arun District Council,Littlehampton Sea Defences Latest Update from the Flood Defence Scheme.

Latest Update from the Flood Defence Scheme.

A deafening silence…

Sorry, there’s been no updates on the blog (for a while now)  regarding the Environment Agency and Arun District Council’s joint £15million sea defence and public realm enhancements for Littlehampton.

I’m afraid, despite my repeated requests to the Environment Agency (since prior to Christmas) for updates, so far there has been no official response.

However, Arun District Council’s Councillor’s Paul Dendle, whose Cabinet Member Portfoli includes Engineering – Flood Defences – released this brief and somewhat bizarre statement via Twitter on 20th January 2014.

“unaware of any material delays 2 flood protection works,it was programmed 2 finish before school hols in Jul 14”

Surprising statement given the Environment Agencies previous updates regarding delays.

Furthermore, the Environment Agency’s Project Team last update reported they were now 4 weeks behind with the Pilling Schedule – this was back early December.

I fail to understand how Councillor Dendle can say that there are no material delays. However, in the absence of any other  official statement contradicting his statement, we can only conclude that officially at least, there are now no delays and all is on target to complete in July.

I did ask the Environment Agency to comment on Councillor Dendle’s announcement, but so far there’s been no response.

Previously they did provide a useful Outline of Programme of Works Document, which you can download here Outline draft programme R1_R2.

It provides a useful guide to the works taking place. And as you’d expect, states at the bottom that ‘this project is draft and is subject to change.’

Given the appalling weather, machinery problems, pilling problems, who wouldn’t be surprised that a major project like this one has slipped behind?

I certainly wouldn’t be. I’ve always said at our consultation meetings that the timescales presented were far too ambitious and unachievable for a scheme of this magnitude. More especially when those of us who live and work here understand the horrific weather we regularly have to put up with  in Pier Road.

So why no official update on the scheme’s progress?

Answering questions with deafening silence, is akin to gagging.

DSCF3157Here we are now, pictured above
Pier Road closedHere we were when then back in October 2013 when the road was closed over 3 months ago.
Tags: , , , , ,

0 thoughts on “Latest Update from the Flood Defence Scheme.”

  1. Brigitte says:

    Fantastic pics hope all are ok in this inclement weather gagging well very shocked to note nearly a thousand people let me know sir peter bottomley thought it was stupid surprising given he supported me for past 3 years at what adc got wrong and to which equality termed abuse cruelty discrimination 38 degrees did amazing job especially as there was 14 other complaints to lgo makes you lose faith really and you really can’t help but wonder who’s backsides are being protected But cheering now as my medics were so concerned at what I endured

  2. S,Wadsworth says:

    The business down there are dying because of this, I know your paying them but not enough

    1. Brigitte says:

      An absolute disgrace I’m so very sorry for these grateful to media to contact me on my case grateful to bognor people and 38 degrees lgo 14 other people complaints against authority’s I suggest you take this further I believe tony Dixon has also written to the press

Please share your thoughts

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: